The Microbiology Division offers a wide range of test and assays in line with the standards of ISO, Cosmetics Europe, PCPC (Personal Care Products Council) European Pharmacopoeia and FDA.
Specifically, the microbiology laboratory provides quantification, research, and identification services for specific microorganisms, as well as efficacy testing of preservative systems (Challenge test), antibacterial and antifungal activity testing, and mutagenesis testing.
Microbiological analysis offered by Abich:
- Microbiology testing on raw materials and finished products: total bacterial, yeast and mould counts in line with the COSMETICS EUROPE, ISO (21149 and 16212), and European Pharmacopoeia/USP standards;
- Identification of specific microorganisms: : in line with the COLIPA, ISO (21150, 22717,22718, 18416), and European Pharmacopoeia/USP standards;
- Preservative efficacy testing: challenge test in line with the COSMETICS EUROPE, PCPC, European Pharmacopoeia, FDA, ISO 11930, USP standards;
- Usability testing and RDV assessment: to determine the PAO (Period After Opening);
- Validation of microbiological analytical methods: on specific matrices, in line with the European Pharmacopoeia/USP;
- Evaluation of antimicrobial activity: on dermatologically-relevant strains like Propionibacterium acnes, Staphylococcus aureus and epidermidis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Candida albicans, dermatophytes;
- Evaluation of the Minimal Inhibitory Concentration (MIC): turbidimetric and contact inhibition;
- Antibacterial activity testing for textiles in line with the UNI EN ISO 20645 and JIS Z 2801 standards;
- Microfungal activity testing: in line with the UNI EN 14119 standard;
- Evaluation of bacterial adhesion: onto mammalian cells;
- Environmental evaluation of airborne microorganisms: through sample collection with SAS SUPER IAQ “Surface Air System” instruments;
- Environmental evaluation of microbial contamination of surfaces in production plants, machinery, and laboratories;
- Identification and quantification of Legionella in line with the UNI EN ISO 11731-2 standard.